- CKWong June 16, 2021 at 4:02 am
I just received VSG60A and I was doing a step sweep between 110-130MHz to BB60C, it either caused the VSG60 to crash and Spike (BB60C) disconnected. There wasn’t any apparent pattern, examples:
1. While I set the start frequency in VSG60 and Spike got disconnected.
2. While I was using VSG60, it just crashed but Spike was running.
3. Sometime I was able to run the test, but VSG60 crashed or Spike disconnect when I was changing any of its parameter (RF Off).
I previously was able run the similar test from AWG to BB60C and it worked without any issue.
1. Spike 3.5.16, F/W 8
2. VSG60 1.0.6, F/W 6 (No Error Log)
AndrewModeratorAndrew June 16, 2021 at 8:14 am
Is the crash specific to one certain VSG60 configuration? Can you operate the VSG60 in any transmit output? For example, does a simple CW output work? If the crash is associated with just the step sweep, it might simply be a bug with that specific configuration that we can investigate and fix. Let me know the full settings used when a crash occurs.
That being said, you might need to run the VSG60 on a separate PC to run them both simultaneously. Most PCs will have difficulty running two of our high speed USB 3.0 devices simultaneously due to the shared USB 3.0 bus. If you continue to see disconnections on the BB60C, you will need to either, use a different PC for each device, or you could try installing a USB 3.0 adapter card and plugging one of the devices into that card. The card will add another USB 3.0 bus, so putting one on the adapter card’s bus, and one on the PC’s bus can resolve this.
Here are two adapter cards customers have used in the past with success.
I look forward to your response.
AndrewCKWong June 16, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Thank you for the response. I did the followings:
1. I read about power issue in this forum and I supplied power to USB hub from PSU, both drawing ~1.16A @ 12V, and Spike was stable without disconnection.
2. However, VSG60 became consistently disconnected after RF On/Off cycle on Step Sweep.
3. As suggested, I played around with other configuration e.g. Ramp Sweep, it work without issue.
4. I went back Step Sweep configuration and found that if I changed the Dwell time to 1us, it ran (RF On) but hang (see attach screen shot) for a second when I stopped (RF Off) it.
Therefore, it seems like Dwell Time of 1us coupled with power issue made both units unstable and unpredictable I encountered initially.
Additional note, I ran both VSG60 and Spike on Dell Precision 5540 via Dell Thunderbolt 3.0. I don’t think bandwidth will the issue.
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
AndrewModeratorAndrew June 17, 2021 at 9:24 am
I am able to reproduce this issue. The issue appears to affect the step sweep mode with certain configurations. I will need to fix this and issue a new release of the software.
I apologize for the inconvenience. I do not have a workaround at this time.
I will respond on this forum topic when I have released the new version.
AndrewCKWong May 16, 2022 at 6:23 pm
The problem has been resolved in version 1.0.8.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.